A pet brings warmth, laughter, and joy inside the house. But as a pet owner, you need to be responsible enough to look after them and give them love and care. Pets can get into trouble due to illness or an accident but a few are common like an infestation of ticks and fleas. There is no way you can avoid the attack of fleas on your pet. If your pet remains outdoors most of the time, there will be higher chances of the pet being infested by fleas. However, there is a solution to it. There are a number of products available in the market which can be used to treat the pet from fleas. You can also use flea prevention products and ensure that they do not reoccur. You need to choose products based on the age, breed and the type of lifestyle your pet has. If you live in warm areas, your pet will be quickly infested by the fleas. You can take precautions to avoid the fleas and ticks but there is no sure shot solution to the same.
There are a number of species of fleas and ticks and they love animal fur. This is why you will find a number of fleas on the coat of your cat or dog. Fleas cause constant itching and irritation to the pet. They attach themselves to the body of the pet and suck blood which helps them get bigger and reproduce. Fleas can move from host to environment and back to host in no time. They are very small in size but have long legs which allow them to jump from one place to another. If you have noticed that your dog is scratching his fur too much, it is time to take a proper flea treatment.
Tips on choosing the right products
- The trick is to buy the right product. When buying flea treatment products, you need to read the labels very carefully. You can also speak to your vet before buying a product. Read the label and read user reviews. The user reviews will give you a detailed insight into the product. Ask the vet about the product if your pet is allergic. Make sure it does not contain any allergic substances. If you are satisfied with the product you are currently using, you may want to continue with it.
- Once you have bought the product, follow the instructions and keep the products separate according to the dosage. This will ensure that you do not get confused about the product while treating your pet.
- Look for any negative reactions. Stop using the product if you notice any allergy or reaction on the skin of the pet.
- Gain information about the product before you use it. Do not buy over the counter products without consulting a vet. In case you notice any allergies or reactions, visit the vet immediately.
- You can use pet safe insecticides to keep the flea from reappearing on the pet. Wash the collar and the belt of the dog with the insecticides to keep the pet safe.
- Look for natural based products which are chemical free and will not damage the fur of the pet.
It is important to understand the life cycle of fleas and its impact on the skin of the pet. If you are able to understand the fleas and their movement from host to environment, you will be able to choose the right products for treatment. Consider the age and breed of the dog before finalizing a product you want to use. There are a number of products available in the market, read the labels well and learn about the application of the same. The products are easy to use and have a fast impact.
Thanks to the products, flea management is much easier. A routine check of the pet can help ensure that the treatment can be started on time. You should never overlook fleas and ticks on the body of the pet. Vacuuming the home on a regular basis can help get rid of fleas since they have a tendency to hide under the carpet. Try to change the bedding of the pet as often as you can as it is the hospitable environment where fleas live and feed off the pet while they rest. High-quality flea treatment products can be purchased from PetLock, the products have been tested and are suitable for use on the dog.