We all are aware of the famous saying ‘health is wealth’. Health is something that we all remain concerned about, whether it is of our own or that of our near and dear ones. But for any organisation or individual related to the healthcare industry, it is not just the health of the patients that they must be concerned about. They also need to safeguard the personal health information of the patients. This is where HIPAA training comes into the picture.
By providing the required HIPAA training for employees, organizations can help protect individuals from the negative impacts of the misuse of their health information. So, what is HIPAA training all about? This article tells you about HIPAA, types of training, and the significance of the training.
What is HIPAA?
HIPAA stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. It ensures that an individual’s medical records and personal health information remain protected.
Who needs to comply with HIPAA?
Any organisation or individual related to the healthcare industry and having access to protected health records of patients has to comply with HIPAA. In other words, HIPAA compliance training is mandatory for every individual who has access to sensitive patient data and health information. Such individuals can include, but is not limited to:
- Health insurance professionals
- Human resource professionals
- Business associates of the above individuals
- Anyone who has access to protected health information (PHI)
Types of HIPAA compliance training
HIPAA compliance training is not a single course. The curriculum varies depending on the individual or the organisation’s role. Among the main types of HIPAA compliance training are:
- Certification of HIPAA Compliance: This is the basic training level required for every individual who has access to and works with medical records.
- HIPAA Security Training: It is an advanced course intended for anyone involved with implementing HIPAA security procedures.
- CHP (Certified HIPAA Professional): It is a higher level of HIPAA training intended for physicians, insurance officials, healthcare executives, clinicians, and other high-level management.
- CSCS: Certified HIPAA Security Compliance Specialist is an advanced stage of the HIPAA Security Training course. It trains an individual to help organizations comply with rules related to information security.
- Certified HIPAA Administrator (CHA): It is intended to train anyone who works in support role such as nurses.
Significance of HIPAA training
As an organisation, you are susceptible to face severe consequences for being negligent about HIPAA compliance. By not implementing the required HIPPA training for employees, you risk getting fined. As per new HIPAA HITECH, all employees, management, volunteers, trainees, and anyone working for such an organisation must be trained. Any individual having access to protected health information and not complying with HIPAA can be held accountable for the violation of the act. So, it’s important for both, organizations and individuals to comply with HIPAA.